Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Ros Washington's Remarks to 2009 AlphaMax Graduating Class

A Tribute for Graduation Day, 26 June 2008
From Ros Washington, Senior Academic Manager, ACT Education Solutions.

I truly regret being unable to be with you today on this very auspicious occasion –the graduation of the second group of Global Assessment Certificate students from the AlphaMax Academy.

I really do feel most fortunate and privileged to have been able to meet you all, because even though my time with you in Suriname was brief in February this year, I feel that I do know each and every one of you! I can picture where you have struggled over your study! I observed your dedication to the program; I saw your growth every time you listened to the wisdom of your teachers; I saw your thirst for knowledge in every question you asked and felt the depth of your ambitions for the future.


Now that I have read all of your many assignments and looked at your PowerPoint presentations, I also know where your interests lie by the topics you chose to study. When I was reading your many, many assessments I could picture you and hear your written ‘voices” in the opinions you gave. I have observed – albeit from afar - your improvement bit by bit from Level 1, through level 2, and then the level 3 assignments, and I see that you have all grown into thinking and mature adults.


I felt proud of you when I met you and even prouder now that you have completed the GAC with such good grades – as you promised me you would! You can start the next stage of life with the confidence that the skills and strategies you have learnt in the GAC have indeed prepared you to succeed well in your chosen university course.

For this, of course, you must give great thanks to your wonderful teachers – and in particular Milton but also of course Sean, Emile,Hortense,Renuskaand Atma all of whom have nurtured you with love and dedication.


Can I leave you with a couple of thoughts on this day for the future? Thoughts which I think are so important to remember as you travel through life.
First from, a well known American scholar, Lou Holtz, who said:
Ability is what you’re capable of doing
Motivation determines what you do
Attitude determines how well you do it

And second from a prolific American author Dr Zeuss – best known for his children’s books which I know you will have read at sometime. He said:
“You have brains in your head.
You have feet in your shoes.
You can steer yourself
In any direction you choose.
You are on your own now.
YOU are the person
who’ll decide where to go.”
Make decisions wisely but be prepared to take risks.

Do everything to the very best of your ability and with enthusiasm.

Always have a positive and caring attitude to others as well as for yourself. And NEVER lose faith in yourself and what you can do!

And remember that a true test of a person’s worth lies in how much a person gives to the society rather than how much they gain.

Good luck and congratulations to you all! You have made me very proud of you as you have ALL of the staff and Alpha max!

Congratulations also from Gaye Pullyn, the General Manager of ACT Education Solutions and all the staff at ACT.
Ros Washington