Monday, November 28, 2011

Representing Suriname at Conference in Berkeley, California


In July of 2011, I visited Berkeley, CA, together with my mother. This was a trip to represent the AlphaMax Academy at the National Student Leadership Conference It was a very exciting and learning trip and for sure a life's milestone for me.
By Yamil Baptista ---GAC 2012 Class


In July of 2011, I visited Berkeley, CA, together with my mother. This was a trip to represent the AlphaMax Academy at the NationalStudent Leadership Conference It was a very exciting and learning trip and for sure a life's milestone for me.

I arrived in Berkeley on the 4th of July after a 12-hour flight  from Miami  The conference did not start until the 6th, so we settled in the university city. In the morning of the 6th we walked over to UC Berkeley's Residence Hall's center. I signed up and went through their standard procedure.  I received the dorm key mom and I went over to the room. It was my first time seeing an American-style university dorm. Not much later, my mother left, and I was on my own from then on.  I quickly got around speaking to people; this was another achievement for me because I am a very shy  person.

During this experience I learned a lot more than I had expected, both about engineering and about myself as a leader. We endured through some trust activities in the cold parks of San Fransisco (I can not remember the name.) The group which I was in also were challenged with the creation of a sea perch. This was a challenge for all of us and it was the best opportunity to learn skills from each other, and also learn about each other. 

Next to the activities we had to engage in, we also visited a few places such as: the San Fransisco Exploratorium, Intel, Pier 39 and 43½. We also had a boat tour, passing by Alcatraz and under the Golden Gate  Although the conference was 10 days, it felt like we knew each other for years. This was indeed one of the best experiences in my life.