Thursday, December 8, 2011

10 Minutes of National Fame


by Ruth Saman
Monday November 5, 2011 was the first day of the Children’s Day of Broadcasting in Suriname– an initiative of the STVS and the AlphaMax Academy.  Surinamese students worked with the STVS crew to launch this project; this project might be an ongoing project.  Kristina Taylor, Reann Kersenhout, Justin Ho, Emmanuel Landburg, Jason Jones, Yamil Baptista, Aaron Cheuk A Lam and Cherise Playfair are some
of the students who participated in this project.
Ruth on National TV


Along with Cherise Playfair, I presented part of the STVS evening news for 10 minutes.  During the voice checks on Friday December 2, 2011 I was very nervous, and the recording room was very cold.  Before me, other students went, and when I it was my turn, I felt as if my nerves took over because I started my presentation before the camera man gave me the cue.  When I finally got the cue, I presented the news and surprisingly, I was calm.  I was very comfortable being in the spotlight.  As a result the STVS team decided that my performance on my screen test was good enough for me to present the evening news. So I got the chance to be seen on television nationwide.
On Monday December 5, the day of the news presentation, Cherise and I had to be at the TV station by 12 noon.  In the morning, we came to school and left at 11.  We started taping the presentation at approximately 1.30.  I felt very calm and confident while doing it.
That night, when I watched the news, I waited impatiently on the part of the news that Cherise was doing to end. Then there I was…reading the news on National TV.  Seeing myself on television was something new for me, but it lasted only for 10 minutes.  So I had my ten minutes of fame, I told myself.
After seeing this, I felt that I had revealed one of my many hidden talents.

Ruth on STVS Evening News