Friday, October 14, 2011

Claire Patandin: My Encounter with Tagore


 This is the First Prize essay in the Senior High School section of the Tagore Art Competition held in May 2011 in Suriname.
                    My Encounter with Tagore by Claire Patandin
               On Thursday evening, I met Mr. Rabindranath Tagore in the park.  He was surrounded by children.  Screened by a jasmine bush, he was telling the toddlers about the importance of Nature.  Seeing him interact like that made me want to become a child again, on the lap of Nature enjoying everything she has to give.  He finished his tale and sent the children home.
               Aloud I recited my favorite paragraph from his work ‘To Teachers.’  “I believe that children should be surrounded by the things of Nature which have their own educational value.  Their mind should be allowed to stumble on and be surprised at everything that happens in the life to-day.  The new to-morrow will stimulate their attention with new facts of life.  This is best method for the child.  But what happens in school is, that everyday, at the same hour, the same book is brought and poured out in front of him.  His attention is never caught by chance surprises from Nature.”
Tagore heard me and asked me my name.  This was my opportunity, the one I thought I would never get: having an actual conversation with this intelligent thinker.  He gestured me to sit on one of the swings under the mango tree.  I sat down as we began talking and soon enough I got answers to some of the questions that were on my mind.
               I started off by asking him why he made these remarks in his speech.  He smiled and said: “This has a very simple answer.  Nature is your best teacher.  Nature is the easiest teacher to understand, but also the hardest.  The key to mastering Nature’s lessons is to be attentive.  You have to look with different eyes, hear with different ears, smell with a different nose, taste with a different tongue, and feel with different hands.  You have to be open to Nature if you are planning to learn something from her.  Nature does not provide you with a textbook, but makes you learn from experience.  That is truly the best way to learn anything in life.  You will always remember something better if you went through it.  You can read about it, but you do not know what it feels like.  And if you do not know the feeling, you cannot give any complete feedback on it.  This is why I say that the best method is going out and experiencing.”
As I thought to myself that he was right, another intriguing question popped into my head. “Mister Tagore,” I said “in your work ‘To Teachers’ you speak about the system in which we are all robots.  How or in what way can we change this system to make it more suitable?”
Again he smiled.  “That is a difficult question you are raising child.  I can tell you that this will be the most complicated task people must face.  But we cannot really change the system.  We can only change ourselves expecting that others will transform themselves too.  My hope is that all these changed people will team-up and do something about this problem we are experiencing now.  Schools are part of the system in which we are in.  It is part of the routine that we take out the same book at the same hour and do the same things all over and over again – 6 hours, five days a week.  It is difficult to break this cycle because people are already used to it.  The nation is part of this system and is rusted in this appalling cycle.  But changing the system does not mean that we have to throw our textbooks away, it just means that we should combine the passive learning with active experience by discovering things for ourselves.”
“Now that you have asked your questions I want to ask you one too.” Tagore said.  “Why of all paragraphs I wrote, did you choose that particular one?”
“This piece of writing interested me because that is how I picture it.  But in reality the opposite is true.  I totally agree with you.  I should say that it would be fun to learn while surrounded by Nature.  From experience I can tell that it is.  In our school we do not always have to sit inside, but we can choose to follow our classes outside as well.  I am aware that things learned in Nature stick better in your head than things learned while surrounded by four walls filled with technological devices.”
This was my last question and the end of our conversation.  I thanked him for being so kind and said I enjoyed our conversation.  I had the opportunity of a life time: the chance to connect to mind as powerful as his.  That is why I say thank you to Mister Rabindranath Tagore for inspiring me.